Hello reader! Thank you for visiting my blog. Before you read about this product, I wanted to give you the opportunity to read about my updated haircare recommendations. I wrote this blog post a long time ago, and have since found products that are FAR better than this one. Read more here!
Say hello to Lush’s edam-lookalike, heavenly scented, super nourishing Avocado Co-Wash.* (Pssst, are you from the USA? Click here instead)
If you don’t know, a co-wash is a ‘conditioning wash’ meaning that it’ll take the gunk out of your hair without taking out any of the precious oils. Developed for afro hair, co-washing is also suitable for anyone who suffers from a dry scalp, dry, damaged or curly hair. I use a lot of afro products anyway, including ones from Lush, so I was REALLY excited when they brought this out.
With fresh avocado, cocoa butter, olive oil and cupuacu butter, this is a seriously nourishing product. But apple cider vinegar and SLS ensure that hair is left super clean and shiny too. Yes, I said SLS – but before you close the tab in disgust, let me explain something. SLS can be irritating, but that’s only because brands who don’t care about your skin shove it into products without any regard to how much they put in, or how balanced it is with the rest of the ingredients. A bit of SLS in a well-formulated product isn’t going to do anything to you unless your skin is hypersensitive (in which case I doubt you’re reading this blog post anyway).
It’s quite a simple product really, the conditioning oils and butters outweigh the cleansers, and it’s all tied together with a heavenly lime scent. I started using it after a Lush employee insisted that I try it (and after smelling it I was 100% sold) after I went in to buy a pot of R&B Hair Moisturiser, and after using them both together for months, my hair and scalp have never been in such good condition. My hair is soft and shiny, my scalp is clean. I am absolutely over the moon that I’ve found two products that make my hair look, feel and smell so good!
I first used Avocado Co-Wash back in the summer, and have used it almost every time I’ve washed my hair since. I know what you’re thinking, I’m such a lazy blogger, but no! I didn’t want to write about it until I’d figured out the best way to use it. You see, Avocado Co-Wash is a bit of a weird and wonderful product. A solid, pliable, almost waxy bar, the question of actually how to get it in your hair is a tough one. The instructions on Lush’s website just don’t work for me. They say to wet the bar, rub it up a bit to lather, and then rub it onto the scalp/hair. Perhaps this would work for people with short hair, and it’s probably great for afro hair as per their instructional video. But for me, this results in pulling, tangles, and not a whole lot of product. In the shop, the sales assistant told me to rub a bit across completely dry hands and then wet it before massaging into my scalp, but have you ever tried to achieve completely dry hands in a steamy bathroom? Impossible. So anyway, here’s my Avocado Co-Wash How To!
- Get a clean cup or receptacle (preferably plastic, I’m only using glass here because I wanted to be pretty for you) large enough to swirl 1-2 inches of water around in it.
- Gouge off a bit of Avocado Co-Wash. I usually use about 3cm of product I’d say. It’s not an exact science, as you can always do another cleanse after (notice how the Co-Wash goes a bit browner after it’s been out? Just like an Avocado! So cool).
- Put a bit of hot water in the cup – not a lot, just enough to mostly cover the Wash.
- Swirl (or stir, if you want to use a spoon, or shake if you use an empty cosmetic bottle like I do!) the liquid around in the glass like you’re doing a science experiment.
- Once it’s started to dissolve, add a bit more hot water. At this point, the Wash should have softened enough that you can squidge it and get it to dissolve even further.
- Finally, add a teeny bit more water, until you have a good enough amount to wash your hair with.
So there you have it! My favourite shampoo, and my favourite way to use it. I cannot recommend it enough, I just can’t get over how clean and soft it leaves my hair! Get it here or pop into your local Lush.
Like what you read? Keep up to date here!